Wednesday 30 July 2014

Fish Curry (by G)

I was going to try to make a good dinner tonight - it turned out okay but I had to battle against fate to get it to an edible level which was more effort than I was hoping for.

The first difficulty was that the fish I was hoping to use for dinner was not available so I went with little fillets of whiting "about a handful". One of the fundamental laws of cooking is that "about a handful" of protein is not enough for two people.

Anyway, I started out working from a recipe but I was unable to find so many of the ingredients that it became a bit of a freestyle-a-thon. The curry sauce I ended up with contained shallot, garlic, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, lime zest and juice, turmeric powder, pepper, coconut cream - I think that's all to begin with. When it turned out that the sauce had no flavour I added curry powder, then fish sauce, then some chicken stock... and then some chilli flakes.  I'm pretty sure that's it.

To make up for the lack of protein I decided to make some potatoes. They were parboiled and roasted with onion, garlic, cumin seeds, turmeric, chilli flakes and lime juice.

Add a side of plain rice and top it all with roasted almond slivers and coriander and you have dinner.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was a good dinner. Something a bit different and it's not often we have fish for dinner. I think G did a terrific job rectifying the sauce.