Tuesday 29 July 2014

Jambalaya (by G)

Whoops! Missed the cut off time by a few seconds - this dinner was actually consumed on the 28th from precisely 7:30 pm.

I saw a jambalaya cookoff on the 'Hairy Bikers' (the North American HBs - not the good ones) and decided it would be a good wintertime dish.

The key seemed to be to fry the chicken to as dark a colour as you dared - I fried pieces of our corn-fed chicken in lard for extra emphasis. It was pretty dark by the time I was done with it. After draining off a bit of the lard I then fried some onions, red capsicum and celery - also chorizo and garlic until soft, then I added rice, some Worcestershire sauce, tinned tomatoes, old bay seasoning (because Biggs convinced me "That's what they do in the South"), onion powder, black pepper and chicken stock as well as the chicken and simmered it until the rice was done.

I was pretty happy with this one, stodgy rice dishes rate pretty highly with me.  The corn-fed chicken didn't taste anywhat superior to the regular fed ones but that may have been because I had been fried to dry nuggets.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Pretty good. I certainly think the Old Bay Spice was a genius addition. There was a lot of rice.