Sunday 6 July 2014

Sunday Roast Lamb (by G)

I got a 2.7 kilogram leg of lamb the about a week ago (kind of by accident) - I've been excited for days at the thought of cooking it.

Unfortunately it did not turn out as I had hoped. For something different I decided to slow cook it Greek style (allegedly). I studded the leg with 50 slivers of garlic then coated it in a mix of salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder then stuck it into an oiled oven tray and then into a super hot oven.

After a turning to get it all brown on the outside I added some onion, more garlic, thyme, rosemary, dried oregano, white wine, lemon juice, oil, bay leaves and some hot water the simmered it in a slow oven for hours - basting and turning the meat regularly.

As dinner time approached I put some blanched potatoes and chopped pumpkin in the oven. The potatoes were for wedges (which turned out to be not too good), the pumpkin was for a salad (of sorts) that turned out to be rather good. The other salad elements were blanched green beans, chorizo and haloumi cheese. No prizes for guessing how the salad turned out so well.

The meat (as it turned out) turned out to be a disappointment - it was not as tender and flavourful as I had hoped and dreamed.

There are a few things I probably could have done (in hindsight) to make the lamb better but, as they say, 'if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas'.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Yeah, I probably would have enjoyed dinner but both G and I had hyped it up in our minds ever since the giant lamb leg came into our lives.

It really was impressive but in the end tasted not very lamby. I like my lamb to taste lamby.

The vegetables on the other hand were splendid. And when I say vegetables I mean chorizo and cheese.