Wednesday 9 July 2014

Flour Tortilla Taco Trial1 (by G)

It's getting difficult to think of new tortilla related meals - I did have another plan for this tortilla Tuesday, but the supermarket and I experienced irreconcilable differences. Instead I decided to make a flour version of the traditional (not really traditional) hard corn tacos.

For this job I decided that packet tortillas would be best to experiment with. After making a filling of store-bought barbecue chicken, red onion, coriander, diced tomato, packet taco seasoning (a first for me) and cheese I divided it amongst a few flour tortillas, folded them over and placed a tray on top (and bottom) to ensure they didn't try and unfold - then stuck them in the oven. To get the tops browned I stuck them under the grill for a couple of minutes. The tortillas did not get as crispy as I was hoping, 'asi es la vida'.

I also made a fresh salsa of cucumber, capsicum, onion, coriander and lime juice (partly because I find the fine dicing cathartic) and I sliced up an avocado (mostly because I like the fan shape it makes).

The packet taco seasoning was surprisingly sweet but otherwise a bit flavourless. I had considered adding a little magic 'chicken style' stock for flavour but decided against it - to the detriment of Biggs and myself.  That said, they were not too bad. They were about 1000 degrees Celsius for a long time after I had served them so they were extremely difficult to eat.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

It was very strange how hot these puppies stayed. I tackled mine by scooping out some of the innards (into my innards) then topping them up with the salsa and some avocado.

I thought the avocado was perfectly salted. Perfectly.