Saturday 19 July 2014

Shrimp Boil (by Biggs)

The second G noticed me glad-wrapping our rarely used dining table he knew what we were having for dinner - a Louisiana Shrimp Boil. We've seen people enjoy various crawfish boils on TV, usually Bourdain is involved,  so I thought it was time for us to experience the joy. Instead of crawfish I went with a shrimp boil as shrimps (prawns) are far more accessible, even off-season, in Brisbane.

The critical ingredient of a shrimp boil isn't the shrimp - it is the Old Bay Seasoning. A bunch of food forums indicated that Old Bay Seasoning is illegal in Australia as it has ingredients in it not allowed through customs. Turns out, for the princely sum of $40, you can get half a kilo shipped from Melbourne. I didn't intend to spend  $40 but it cost $18, then $20 for postage and, as a result of minimum purchase requirements, I also had to order an out-of-date packet of beer batter.

Another $40 spent on the remaining ingredients, some glad wrap and the ever-critical newspaper and it turns out this is the most expensive meal I have ever cooked.

Worth every penny!

I made up a stock of water, Old Bay Seasoning, beer and salt. Once boiling I added potatoes, onion, kransky, corn and then, at the last minute, some prawns. Fixings included srirarcha, thousand island dressing, lemon, melted butter and more Old Bay Seasoning.

The whole lot was dumped on newspaper, we rolled up our sleeves and tucked in. I anticipate many more shrimp boils in my future. It was magic. First though, I have to try all ten recipes available on the Old Bay Seasoning tin.

1 comment:

G said...

I was pretty dubious, or at most cautiously optimistic about this one but it turned out to be amazing. The potatoes were almost my favourite thing - they soaked up the flavour beautifully. By a small margin the shrimp were the best thing - cooked to perfection, crunchy fresh. There is hardly a single occasion that can not be improved by the addition of sriracha, but this was one of them.