Saturday 18 April 2015

Chicken Wings (by G)

The photo reflects a bit of a minimalist dinner - just chicken wings on a plate.

I went for 3 varieties just to experiment. One type was simply brined in salt, water and apple cider vinegar then oven roasted with some cider vinegar soaked wood chips to add a smoky flavour. Typically the wood chips didn't ignite so there was no smoky flavour - though the 3 hours of cooking made the wings toothless tender.

Another set of wings I brined in the same brining mix as above with the addition of fresh garlic and ginger. They turned out pretty much the same but less tender.

The last set of wings I marinated in a combo of Korean BBQ sauce and the funky chilli and fermented black bean stuff I keep in the back of the fridge and use infrequently and very sparingly.

All the wings were good in that they were wings, and there were no vegetables to sully the palate. I think I can do better though.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I LOVE chicken wing nights. These were particularly delicious ones, especially the brined ones.