Monday 6 April 2015

Pork Rib Roast and Veg (by G)

I was a bit undecided about what to make for dinner so I played it safe and slow roasted a pork rib-roast, for about 4 hours or so.

For sides I was going to make roast potatoes and fried brussels sprouts - the sprouts at the supermarket were a mite mouldy however, so I went with cabbage instead.  The cabbage is just fried along with some hickory smoked bacon, shallot and garlic, then braised in some vegetable stock.

This would have been a pretty good dinner if I hadn't made a gravy of the pork leavings. I had added a lot of rock salt to the skin to get it to crackle and a large quantity seems to have made its way into the juices at the bottom of the roasting pan so the resulting gravy (especially after I had reduced it) was saltier than the dead sea. Luckily I drizzled it over everything and killed pretty much any flavour the food had - except the salty flavour of the food, the gravy enhanced that.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Salty....so very salty. Though, that is not a complaint.