Sunday 26 April 2015

Cawl (by G)

Shameful as it is to admit, I was watching a Jamie Oliver show the other day and was tempted to cook one of the recipes. Cawl is a Welsh delecacy - basically lamb and vegetables stewed in water. It didn't appear to promising, and ultimatley wasn't - it tasted like lamb and vegetables stewed in water.

It was kind of nice to chop up a bunch of vegetables. Swede, carrot, potato, parsnips, leeks - I accidentally also snuck a turnip in there - I don't think it did any harm. I followed the recipe to the letter (apart from the turnip as previously mentioned - oh, and I had to use lamb forequarter chops instead of neck) and suspect that any enjoyment the Welsh get out of this dish is pure nostalgia. That said, it was good to have some proper vegetables for once.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Dinner was definitely lamb and vegetables stewed in water. I added salt to my bowl of stew. Dinner was satisfying enough to eat given how cold and windy it was today but I really wish either G or I could one day made a decent Winter stew.