Saturday 4 April 2015

Squid Ink Risotto (by G)

For my last birthday Biggs bought me some things - one of those things was some squid ink. I knew I was going to make risotto with it, it has just taken me a while to talk myself into it. In my mind I was going to end up staining most of the kitchen black.

In the end it was pretty simple - make a regular risotto, then stir in the ink.  This risotto had a base of fried onion and garlic, some white wine, the rice vegetable stock - then a lot of butter and cheese at the end. Probably too much cheese as it turns out. The risotto didn't settle into the plates as it should. It turned out to be basically cheese rice with squid ink.

Anyway, I topped it with some fried squid pieces. I didn't do too good a job of cooking these (I over crowded the pan) but they turned out tender enough.

The squid ink didn't add too much flavour wise, though it may have been overpowered by the cheese. As a risotto this was a bit of a fail, but it was a pretty decent black cheese rice with squid.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Yeah, this was cheesy good. And, now I can say I've had a squid ink risotto.