Saturday 13 April 2013

Bandeja Paisa...sort of (by G)

 As we didn't have tinned pineapple slices I was not sure what to do with ham steaks... then I remembered one time when I was in Medelllin, Colombia (oh yes, I'm well travelled). I went into a small restaurant and ordered randomly from the menu. What came was a wonderful mix of stuff on a plate sausages, beans, salt pork, rice, an egg and (somehow I'd forgotten) pork crackle.

Tonight I made an homage to that meal - Bandeja Paisa - no sausages or pork crackle sadly. I'm a bit chizzed I fucked up the egg but what can you do...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Columbian National Dish? Outstanding. There is something very comforting about eating beans and rice. It certainly would have been much more comforting with the addition of pork rind.

I can highly recommend a read of the Bandeja Paisa Wiki page where I learnt a "diet-friendly version of the dish is very popular in Bogotá, which replaces pork with grilled chicken breast, black pudding with salad and chorizo with a wiener". Horrfying.