Sunday 7 April 2013

Corned Beef with Vegetables and Cheese Sauce (by Biggs)

I have a particular group of friends with whom I always end up well overstaying my welcome because I just enjoy their company so very much. Gareth’s comment was almost right in that after positioning myself on a friend’s awesome deck yesterday I stayed put for the next 12 hours and forgot to return home. We started with a BBQ breakfast complete with bacon, asparagus and toad-in-the-hole style eggs and followed this with gallons and gallons of champagne as well as a lesson in how to make mock chicken (tomatoes, onions, cheese and an egg mixed up and spread on toast).

The whole afternoon was accompanied by the sound of a slow cooker gently bubbling away in the background so I couldn’t help but stay for dinner to find out what was inside. It was an amazingly tender side of corned beef that was accompanied by vegetables, mash and a hash of cabbage and bacon and served with a deliciously smooth and rich cheese sauce. A beautifully unpretentious dinner any respectable CWA lady would be proud to sit down to. What did I learn today? Every dinner should be drowned in cheese sauce and every dinner should be capped off with a generous glass of aged smoky scotch.



No comments: