Friday 26 April 2013

Pork Buns (by G)

I don't really know what to say about the pork buns. Yes, they were shit - the dough was sticky, strangely yellow... and doughy. But it was not as sweet as usual pork bun dough - which pleases me. I'm also pretty pleased with the amount of filling to bun. Also, the filling was tender and not as sweet as most buns.

The dough is 1 cup flour, 1 1/4 teaspoons of sodium bicarbonate, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/8 cup oil and about 1/4 cup of water - mixed and rested for an hour then rolled out and filled.

The filling is pork fillet diced and simmered in hoisin, oyster sauce, five spice, rice wine vinegar and water for about an hour, cornstarch added to thiken and then cooled.

Despite their weirdness I think I could easily have eaten another half dozen or more so that is some kind of endorsement.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Agreed. I could have kept eating these until I exploded. Admittedly the dough wasn't what it was meant to be but the innards tasted exactly right. I'm hoping G tries to make these again in the very near future.