Thursday 18 April 2013

Minestrone Soup (by Biggs)

I'm a bit frustrated that this vegetarian meal doesn't really contain many more vegetables than last night's. I'm also frustrated that the internet couldn't come up with a better recipe than this. I freestyled a little but if your Grandma has a minestrone soup recipe please send it my way. I think it should taste more delicious than this. But, it was alright.

Meanwhile, it really suprised me how many vegetarian minestrone soup recipes on the internet contained beef stock. This one has vegetable stock, zucchini, carrot, potatoes, basil, parsely, butter beans, green beans, tomatoes, celery, onion, garlic, oregano, bay leaf, pasta (elbows!) and maybe some other things. G's workmate grows amazing chillis which is why they feature as a garnish.

The soup was served with home-made basil and parmesan croutons in an effort to bribe G to keep letting me cook once a week. They were pretty average....probably because I used that vomit powdered "parmesan-style" cheese. It says "parmesan-style" right on the packet. G's already banned pre-made pasta sauces from our house and I suspect he's already binned the rest of this "cheese".

1 comment:

G said...

You asked for a Winter warmer (well someone did) and Biggs brought it. She made enough of this Winter warmer to set fire to a dinosaur.

I like it, it feels very healthfull and it is so filling that I can't fit in my regular compliment of beer. One of my favorite vegetarian dishes so far.

I guessed all of the vegetables that went into this dish and won another 12 bowls full.