Wednesday 10 April 2013

Bún Chay (by Biggs)

There are some great cheap and cheerful Vietnamese restaurants up the road from our place and I always love the super fresh greens, herbs and chillies they serve with all their meals so tonight I decided instead of a take-away Vietnamese Vegetarian Noodle Salad I should make it myself. Our local asian grocery store provided the lettuce, Vietnamese mint, non-Vietnamese mint, watercress, mung beans, cucumber, shallots, coriander and chillies for not much more than $10.

I think if Tom Colicchio was in our lounge room right now he would gruffly accuse me of having not cooked anything. But, to that, I would say balancing flavours and cooking proteins correctly are two fundamentals and I made a sauce and also fried some tofu. I wasn't sure I'd do this well but it's possible Ho Chi Mihn may not be rolling over in his tomb just yet.

1 comment:

Tortilla Tuesday said...

This was a good healthy dish. With the Vietnamese flavours I could almost taste the barbequed pork... sadly there was none. I don't blame Biggs for using tofu, given that she has to keep it vegetarian but I just don't understand tofu at all it is a rediculous substance. The dressing was really well balanced so what more can I ask.

According to wiki, Ho Chi Mihn (aka Nguyễn Tất Thành and Nguyễn Ái Quốc) trained as a pastry chef under Escoffier (so I'm 73% certain that he was). According to most sources, however, his bun chay dressing lacked flavour.