Thursday 25 April 2013

Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Pumpkin and Eggplant Salad (by Biggs)

I searched high and low for a good pumpkin and eggplant recipe but the only options seemed to be stuffing an eggplant with pumpkin or stuffing a pumpkin with eggplant. Good options but I was looking for flavour country. I eventually found an Asian salad featuring carrot, snowpeas, onion, eggplant, pumpkin, capsicum, mungbeans, spinich and corriander.

I thought G would spend the night sighing if I just served salad so I wanted to give dumplings a go. I couldn't find dumpling wrappers and sure as hell wasn't going to make them by hand so I went with springrolls. The filling was super tasty and I think the credit goes to my new friend....the fresh porcini mushroom.

I sort of overheated myself with sriracha in the salad dressing and chilli oil in the spring rolls but will probably live.

2 comments:

G said...

This was a good vegetarian dish - salad was good, but spring rolls were excellent. It was definitely the mushrooms that did it - so umami (it's a real word... proudly an official taste since 1985).

I don't know what else to say except it has staved off scurvey for another week.

Biggs said...

For those of you playing along at home I got the salad recipe randomly from Ashbury's Aubergines.

The website makes me happy - the logo is a eggplant on a couch and there's a link to 'Aubergine Fun'. I won't ruin the suprise for you. Check it out: http://www.aubergines.org/