Monday 15 April 2013

Fried Style Rice with Chicken (by G)

I have selective reading skills, so when I got chicken thighs out of the freezer last night I assumed they were chicken thigh fillets.  Not to worry, I simmered the thighs in a broth of water, soy sauce, rice wine, garlic, ginger and sezchwan (?) pepper corns until tender and stripped it off the bone.

The title is Fried Style rice because I forgot to defrost the left-over rice I had planned to use so it was not as dry as I would like. To me a perfect stir fried rice has some cruchyness to it.  I'm pretty happy I managed to cram some veg in to tonight's dinner. Carrot, mushroom, bok choy stems and leaves, spring onion and red capsicum.  Plenty of sesame oil a bit of soy sauce, ginger, soy, mirin and sriracha at the end for flavour.

I topped mine off with more sriracha which killed most of the flavour but I have an addiction to that stuff...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I was concerned for a minute that Gareth was muscling in on my vegetarian territory tonight but it turns out that each forkful contained a wonderful nugget of chicken. This meal was super flavourful and I am bit worried that if we were using left over rice that may mean we don't now have any left over fried style rice.

Ever since the TV started to tell me to eat five different types of veges every day the question every dinnertime is "how many veges?" Tonight I was mighty impressed that the answer was five.