Sunday 21 April 2013

Seafood Amok...sort of (by G)

This was a request from the ether... I hardly ever cook seafood - I don't really know why.

Today I followed the recipe as closely as possible - the only variances were crimson snapper instead of blue eye; I couldn't find fresh tumeric so I used dried; I've never seen banana leaves for sale and there isn't a tree handy so I steamed the fillets in baking paper; I didn't get any palm sugar and used a lesser amount of white sugar; also, this dish is traditionally served with rice but I forgot to buy any so I served it with lettuce.  It seems like a lot of compromises when I list them.

In terms of flavour, it was pretty good - the paste wasn't blended enough so I've still got an aftertaste of lime zest. The prawns on top were way overdone and nuggety - I put this down to dashing off to get a carton of beer while they were resting in the sauce. The fish was really good - clean and firm fleshed.

I trashed the kitchen but that's a tomorrow job.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was great. I like that it was something different to what we usually have. I like that the bamboo steamer got some action tonight. And, I like that it was a fish dinner.

I agree that the sauce could have been blended more. I have a strong lemongrass taste left in my mouth but that's a happy problem.