Friday 20 December 2013

Pork Cheeks (by Biggs)

Tonight was a very special night but a very sad night because we were saying good bye to our dear friends Mike and Amanda. Special friends deserve a special last supper so we put Dan in charge of dinner.

Since he and Fi had just spent over a month in France he wanted to recreate one of their favourite meals from the trip....pork cheeks with apples and vegetables in a creme fraiche sauce. Pork cheeks, apple, carrot and potato were slow cooked in butter and cider with some creme fraiche stired through at the last minute.

It was incredible. I think it's the first time I've had pork cheeks and I now understand why everyone raves about them. From this day forth I will only eat the cheeks of delicious animals and not bother with any of that other pesky meat. I was so excited I had half my meal eaten before I took a photo. Once I'd finished I demanded Dan heat up another bread stick so as not to waste all the amazingly delicious jus left in the pan at the end.

The amusing thing about this meal is that when Fi and Dan bought the pork cheeks the butcher gave them the whole side of the pig face not just the little nuggety bit so they have quite an excess of pig face meat and skin. A happy problem.

Dan is now inspired to cook a whole pig head so stay tuned for that.

No comments: