Thursday 5 December 2013

Nasi Goreng (by Biggs)

We were recently watching some Bourdain, as we so often do. He was hot and sick and disillusioned and generally quite miserable in Sri Lanka, he was taken to a Malaysian restaurant and ordered a comforting bowl of Nasi Goreng. It seemed to make him feel marginally better about life so at that moment I thought...."Perhaps a bowl of Nasi Goreng could make G and I feel marginally better about life."

So, tonight we had Nasi Goreng, an Indonesian fried rice dish. There are about a million Nasi Goreng recipes on the Internet so I decided to go with.....the first one. I was tempted to use the Nasi Goreng recipe of Julie Goodwin (G's all time favourite chef) but then I probably would have been at risk of eviction (she's actually G's all time hated.....breeder). Then I had a panic about making a fried rice dish 'cause G is quite a connoisseur.

To make this I fried off garlic, celery, carrot, cabbage, shallots, chicken, prawns and bacon then stirred through some rice, fried shallots and oyster sauce. I was meant to use soy sauce and ketchup manis but there were some pantry stock issues. I was also meant to use bean sprouts but you can only ever buy half a kilo of them and then G tries to make the leftovers into awfully healthy pancake things....a situation best avoided.

I fried an egg to throw on top and after eating this concoction I feel......marginally better about life.

1 comment:

G said...

Biggs made a jest, I love Julie Goodwin - I call her Julie 'shit-on-a-plate' Goodwin out of respect... but that is beside the point. The nasi goring was awesome, as many types of meat as there were vegetables. An egg on top is a sign of quality and Biggs mixed the prawns in with the rice instead of placing on top. Only millionaires have the balls to hide the prawns under a blanket of rice and egg.