Friday 6 December 2013

Pickled Prawn Salad (by G)

I saw an awesome looking pickled shrimp salad recipe the other day and thought it would be a good thing to do - I couldn't find shrimp, so I used prawns.  The recipe called for the prawns to be pickled in a mix of spices, herbs, onion, garlic, oil and lemon juice. Unfortunately I did not have enough lemon juice and oil to cover the prawns so I added balsamic vinegar.. this was an error as (predictably) it overpowered all the subtle flavours.  I also pickled them for 24 hours longer than the recipe called for so they got a bit wizened.

Anyway, so, the prawns weren't great but I decided to add them to a salad regardless.  The salad was simply lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, avocado, mango, coriander and lime with a drizzling of the prawn pickling liquid.

Oh,  I also added some rolled up slices of packet corned silverside (because I didn't know if the salad was going to be filling enough) then I took a blurry photo:

No comments: