Wednesday 18 December 2013

Thai Fish Cakes (by Biggs)

One of my many secret shames is that I love those frozen pre-packaged fish cakes that are often served in Thai restaurants. Little rubbery nuggets of nothingness. I love them. I decided I should try the home-made version to see how they compare. 

I bought a bunch of barramundi fillets (also known as the Asian sea bass), chopped them finely, then mixed through some garlic, kaffir lime leaves, coriander, fish sauce, red curry paste and sliced snow peas, balled them up and shallow fried them. 

In the interest of having at least one healthy meal a week I decided to serve them with a salad of sprouts, carrot, capsicum, cucumber and crispy noodles. 

The only error I made was in the sauce. It called for fish sauce, lime juice and sugar with some cucumber and chili mixed through. Limes cost about one billion dollars each at the moment so against my better judgement I decided to buy one of those little bottles of packaged lime juice. I've made this error before and knew I would regret it the second it was in my shopping basket. As soon as I added it the sauce it tasted like lime cordial and I couldn't seem to do anything to correct it. 

However, the rest of dinner was so delicious it didn't matter. 

1 comment:

G said...

Biggs was chopping for hours to make tonight's dinner. I had time, while she was chopping, to write a song (loosely based on 'Let's Limbo Some More').

'She started choppin' at half past six; Quarter to Eight she still look fine; And she still choppin' at half past Eight; Now whatsya wanna do'. Basically I substituted the word 'limbo' for 'choppin''. Classic.

Anyway, I really enjoyed dinner. The texture was very pleasing, the kaffir lime leaves were a nice touch. I'm pretty sure this was a pretty healthy dinner. I'll be sure to undo that tomorrow.