Saturday 7 December 2013

Pork with Burmese Green Tomato Salad and Stuffed Mushroom (by G)

I went to the Saturday morning markets an managed to find some green tomatoes and large flat mushrooms - also some good looking pork chops.

I was keen to get the green tomatoes to try and replicate the green tomato salad in Myanmar.  The recipe I found was a pretty fancy version.  The tomatoes were sliced and topped with chopped, roasted peanuts, black sesame seeds, finely chopped shallot, garlic oil and lemon grass vinegar. The garlic oil and lemon grass vinegar were home made - each by steeping the solids into the liquids.  Biggs seemed to enjoy the salad - it was still not quite right... I will continue my experiments.

I stuffed the flat mushrooms with a mix of ricotta, parmesan, olives and red tomato and oven roasted them for half an hour - the result was a bit underwhelming. Damn you ricotta you flavourless white waste of space.

The pork chops were simply seasoned in salt and pepper, fried and topped with shallot fried in butter with a dash of cognac. The pork was excellent - sweet and salty. 

1 comment:

Biggs said...

G has these pork chops down to a fine art. Good salt, good pepper, good fry.

The tomatoes were excellent!

I have no comment regarding the ricotta.