Tuesday 10 December 2013

Myanmar Fusion Tortillas (by G)

I've had a less than ideal experience with an Myanmar fusion dish in the past. A Myanmar pizza I ate in Bagan sent me crashing to the floor of my hotel bathroom simmultaneously sweating and shivering.  I decided to try my own fusion dish to try to partly erase that memory.

The meat for these tortillas is allegedly a Burmese chicken stew - chicken tenders cooked in garlic, ginger, onion, soy, fish sauce, brown sugar, Chinese cooking wine, turmeric, coriander powder, pepper, water and corn flour to thicken.  The recipe called for 2 cups of fresh ginger - I was halving the recipe but still added much less than the required 1 cup...

Once all that had simmered for quite a while I mashed up the chicken and served it with a version of the green tomatoe salad we had the other day and some packet tortillas.

It all turned out pretty well, pretty rich - I don't think you could have too many of them before you'd be doubled up sweating and shivering.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

This blew my mind when I first took a bite. I quickly claimed them as the best tortillas we've ever had. Then after scarfing four of them in quick succession I decided they could get a bit much after a while. Super gingery cut with the bite of the green tomatoes. I'm willing to keep eating these until they actually get a bit much.