Friday 10 January 2014

Aussie Burger (by G)

As a counter to Biggs' English burger I decided to make an Aussie burger and take a blurry photo of it.

The chicken was seasoned according to a secret copycat recipe that I found here.  Despite how insistent the copycat was that all the seasonings must be exactly as stated in the recipe (and you can tell he's serious because the recipe instructions are written in capitals), I could not find Dalmatian Rubbed Sage, Jamaican Ground Ginger, Winter Savoury or Egg White Powder and I completely forgot to look for Fenugreek.

Anyway, apart from the things I couldn't get, I made some substitutions and prepared the chicken according to the recipe. Brined it in salt and MSG (as a substitute to Accent), doused it in the flour, herb and spice mixture then shallow fried it (in substitution to deep frying it).  The coating on the chicken was not as thick as I would have liked but the copycat recipe dude insisted that I ' DO NOT DOUBLE-BREAD CHICKEN SINCE IT PLACES AN EXCESS OF SODIUM AND SPICES ONTO FINAL PRODUCT AND COMPROMISES AUTHENTICITY'.

The crispy onions were battered, then crumbed, then shallow fried and turned out pretty crispy (if not a little burned).

After that it was just a matter of topping a sesame bun with some lettuce, cheese (I chose Havarti for some reason), beetroot, the chicken, some barbeque sauce and the onions).

The burger was okay. The chicken was not much like the real thing (I take the blame for that) but it did leave an authentic weird, slick coating in my mouth.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

Havati...the cheesiest of all Australian cheeses?

This was good. It crapped all over my burger. I knew it wouldn't take long for this cooking equitability to turn into a competition.

G might have won this round but I still got to eat it.