Sunday 26 January 2014

Barbequed Meats (by G)

Today, being Australia Day, I thought a barbequed dinner was in order. Rather than one or two meats I decided on 3.

I wanted chicken wings but could only get legs so I marinated them in soy, mirin, ginger, garlic, and sugar.

The other two meats were inspired by recipes from Luke Nguyen's 'Greater Mekong' series.

Chang Mai Pork is a marinade of garlic, coriander root, ground coriander seeds, sugar, soy, oyster sauce and pepper. Rather than pork belly I used a couple of cheap chops.

For the Uyghur Spicy Beef Skewers I marinated pre-cubed beef with a mix of vegetable oil, soy sauce, salt, chilli flakes, ground coriander, cumin, ginger powder, nutmeg, paprika and Sichuan pepper.

Everything was marinated for hours and hours and hours.

With a small barbecue and a lot of meat it is tricky to juggle the cooking so first I dropped some foil wrapped potatoes onto the coals then blackened the chicken legs and popped them into the oven to cook through. Next I put the pork chops and beef skewers on the grill - when they were half cooked I said a curse word when I remembered the corn should also have gone on so I chucked them on - then almost immediately realised there wasn't enough room on the grill so I put them into the oven with the chicken.  Once the pork and beef was cooked I took them off and discovered I hadn't taken the potatoes out as I'd intended.  Anyway, I put all of that stuff into the oven to stay warm while I unwrapped the corn and put them directly on the grill to get some colour. Then I dumped everything on a plate.

The corn was really good and fresh, the pork was a bit sweet but the coriander flavour was pretty intense and good. The beef was really flavourful, really, really flavourful. I thing sprinkling the skewers with more cumin and chilli flakes while they were grilling was a bit of overkill...

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I do like a Sunday night BBQ especially with a beer...which I had in hand.

The chicken and pork were super tasty and perfectly cooked and the potato and corn were a nice addition to a meat centric dinner.

The beef was really, really flavourful.