Wednesday 22 January 2014

Pork Medallions and Pasta Salad (by G)

Today I wanted to wrap something in nori but did not want to go to all the effort of making sushi rolls so I decided to wrap pork fillet in nori.

Because it has been quite hot lately I decided to serve the pork cold along with a pasta salad - which seems like a very summery thing (in a low rent kind of way).

To get the pork started I seasoned it with salt and pepper then fried the surface to a brownness - then I brushed on some yakitori marinade from a jar then popped it in the over for 15 minutes, then re-basted with marinade then ovened it for another quarter of an hour.  After the pork had rested for a while I stuck it in the fridge to chill.  Come serving time I wrapped the pork in a sheet of nori - which was initially less successful than I'd hoped. Pork fillet is not a cylinder as in my mind but knobbly and tapers at one end - I ended up having to brush the seaweed sheet with water and mush it around the pork a bit.

The pasta salad is just a mix of cooked spiral pasta, finely diced cucumber, celery, yellow capsicum and tomato - then mixed through some mayonnaise.

To serve I sprinkled some powdered seaweed on the plate and drizzled some more of the marinade over the top.

I was pretty pleased with this dinner - it took very little time (it's like the more effort Biggs puts in to her dinners the less I make with mine).  The nori didn't add much but my burning ambition for today was fulfilled.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

When dinner was served I exclaimed "I love pasta salad, I love pasta salad."

I love pasta salad. This one was particularly good. In saying that, I love pork about 5000 more than I love pasta salad.

As you can imagine, based on that formula, I quite liked dinner.

The nori was unnecessary nutrients but it sure looked good.