Saturday 25 January 2014

Roast Beef (by Biggs)

Why have meat and three veg when you can have meat and two veg? It's Saturday night so I wanted to make something a bit special. And, what's more special than roast beef (other than roast pork, obviously!)?

The only smallish roast available was already flavoured with some parsley and pepper but it didn't stop me adding more salt and pepper before putting it in the oven. The instructions suggested I cook it for 20 minutes and rest it for 10 so I decided to cook it for 40 and rest it for 15 which was pretty well perfect.

I decided to serve it with my two favourite vegetables - potatoes, mashed (with 50% butter) and peas, boiled (with 0% butter).

I also decided to serve it with my favourite gravy - salty from a packet.

My final inspiration was to put some whole garlic gloves in the baking tray with the meat. The first time someone served me a roast with whole roasted garlic I thought it was pretty whack but very sophistimacated. Surely you know what you're doing if you're making your guests eat garlic shell paper. Turns out it's how the professionals do it too so I went with it. Very "on-trend" you see.

Dinner was terrific.

1 comment:

G said...

I could probably check exactly how long it has been since we last had mashed potatoes and peas but I won't - it seems like a long time though. I didn't realise I had missed them but I had.

The meat and mushrooms and packet gravy were most excellent.