Thursday 30 January 2014

Moroccan Style Chicken and Couscous (by G)

I've gotten out of the habit of cooking every day so it was a bit of a surprise when I realised that I had to cook tonight.  I was trying to think of something a bit different to do and did an internet search for Turkish recipes - I didn't fancy any of them but stumbled on a Moroccan dish, 'Chut b' chi zyu'. It's a fish dish, but when I got to the supermarket I didn't much fancy handling fish today so I got chicken tenders instead.

To begin I fried the chicken until cooked through then chopped it up and put it in a big pot with red capsicum, carrot, some spring onions that were in the fridge, leftover coriander, some dried red chilli, sliced garlic and a sauce of turmeric, paprika, oil and chicken stock... I also stayed from the recipe and added some of my new Korean red chilli bean paste.  All of that was bunged in the oven - covered for 25 minutes, uncovered for 5 minutes and it was done.

I didn't much like couscous once apon a time, then I cooked it for myself and realised it didn't have to be dry and flavourless.  Though couscous is a logical choice for a Moroccan meal I was a bit scarred from last time having spent about half an hour wandering around the supermarket trying to find it. Happily, this time there was a whole shelf of the stuff in all variety of sizes and endorsed by a number of celebrity chefs - after long deliberation I decided to get large size endorsed by one of my favourite TV chefs.

Gabriel Gate endorsed blu gourmet pearl couscous is excellent. I wont go into the details about how I prepared it because, purely by co-incidence, Biggs came home this afternoon toting a packet of Gabriel Gate endorsed blu gourmet pearl couscous for our dinner tomorrow and has been talking up her prospective dish - so I'm not giving her any tips.

My couscous dinner was excellent, stay tuned for a verdict on Biggs' 'attempt'.



1 comment:

Biggs said...

We recently saw a show where a chef cooked some fly and ant eggs. The couscous in this photo looks just like those eggs. But, it tasted terrific.

Dinner was really excellent. Nice and savoury. Well cooked couscous and something a bit different. Tomorrow nights dinner will be about a billion times better.

I wonder if he used butter in the couscous.