Tuesday 7 January 2014

Chorizo, Corn and Red Kidney Bean Salad Tortillas (by Biggs)

This is the first time I've been responsible for cooking on Tortilla Tuesday and I was definitely feeling the pressure. I was in a bit of a frazzle not knowing which direction to go in with the tortillas but did quickly decide I was going to rely on packet tortillas for my first try.

I stupidly said that if Morimoto has a tortilla recipe I'd make that. Turns out, of course, Morimoto has a tortilla recipe. Saga Wagyu tortillas to be precise. You may note that we're not eating Saga Wagyu tortillas this evening and the excuse I'm using is that the recipe came with a warning...."consumption of raw or undercooked meat may substantially increase the risk of foodborne illness". I'll leave that for a time when our kitchen is in a more orderly state and we don't have to go to work the next day.

When I was thinking what to make I remembered that chorizo is quite a delicious thing and we've never had sausage tortillas, regardless of G's deep love for them, so went in that direction. Stuffed into the tortillas tonight was chorizo sausages, red kidney beans, fresh corn, tomatoes, red onion, coriander and avocado. I dressed the mix with oil, lime zest and juice, red wine vinegar and cumin.

I was pretty happy with my first tortilla effort, they were pretty fresh and tasty, G ate seven of them. I was hoping for a bit more flavour from them but we quickly fixed this by adding magic savoury Koon Yick Wah Kee chili sauce.

1 comment:

G said...

I'm a happy customer tonight - tortillas and sausages all in one... and with no effort on my part.

I don't know what I'm going to do next tortilla Tuesday but I will have to pick my game up after this one.