Sunday 12 January 2014

Summer Soup and a Sandwich (by G)

Biggs bought Ferran Adria's 'The Family Meal' quite some time ago and I felt a bit guilty that I haven't cooked anything from it yet.  The other day I was looking through it and found a recipe for gazpacho soup - which seemed a good idea for the summer.

Gazpacho soup alone would not make much of a meal so I decided to do a soup and sandwich combo.

The gazpacho soup was made by blending some blanched garlic, capsicum, cucumber, tomato, red onion, some stale bread, vinegar, olive oil, a little water... also, surprisingly, mayonnaise.  Unfortunately when I came to strain it I think I over-strained it so it was a very thin, texture-less liquid... which is probably why the lumpfish roe I spooned on top sank right to the bottom.

The sandwich consisted of lettuce, beetroot (because we have some left over), tomato, Swiss cheese and home boiled corned beef - on a Kaiser roll, with some mayonnaise.

The soup was a bit sharp - quite refreshing though. I didn't spice the corned beef as much as I normally would and the flavour was a bit lost on the sandwich. None-the-less it was an okay and easy Sunday dinner.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I thought this was a perfect Summer combo. I think this is the first time I've had gazpacho and if this is what it taste like I'm a fan!

G always does a good job on the corned beef. Swiss cheese, excellent.