Monday 13 January 2014

Lemon Chicken Koftas (by Biggs)

I've already run out of ideas about what to have for dinner so I now just rely on the hope that I'll randomly stumble across a recipe every second day to make the following day. I caught a bit of Justine Schofield yesterday and she was making these so that was dinner decided.

The flavour in the koftas is onions caramalised in honey mixed with some preserved lemon and harissa. I wasn't going to commit us to owning a whole jar of preserved lemon so I just used non-preserved lemon. We didn't have harissa but I read you could substitute harissa with a sriracha, cumin and coriander mix. I couldn't immediately find our sriracha so I just used some green chili, tabasco, cumin and coriander seeds. Once that cooled I mixed it with chicken mince, egg, flour and coriander mix.

I made a quick salad of cucumber, olive, tomatoes and mint. The mint and tomatoes together made the salad quite sweet but it was still okay teamed with the koftas. The koftas were good, they could have done with a little more flavour but the flavour that was there was quite nice. I think I'd make them smaller next time....they turned out a bit sausage meatloafy being this size.

1 comment:

G said...

This was a good meal for a lovely summer day. I like olives and cucumber and cumin seeds and many of the things that went into this dinner. Chicken mince wierds me out a little bit but it was really nice once kofterised.