Monday 6 January 2014

Salmon Wellington with Mash and Veg (by G)

Somewhere or other (possibly 'The Great British Bake-off'), I saw someone make a salmon Wellington. Initially it disconcerted me a bit because it sounds like a terrible rip off of a classic recipe then, festering in the 42 degree heat, I thought some light with salmon and perhaps a nice salad could be a good thing.

Today, however, I got stuck in a thunder storm and froze my nips off in the cryogenically refrigerated supermarket and decided that mashed potato and some veg would be a better option. Then I spent ages trying to find leeks and was ultimately unsuccessful and then I thought it would be better to just give up on life and go to bed - but didn't.

Instead of fried leeks and garlic I fried a brown onion and shallot and added mirin instead of white wine. Then I added some vinegar because the mirin was too sweet.  Then I wrapped a couple of skinless salmon pieces in puff pastry along with the onion mix and baked them in the oven for about half an hour.

I over cooked the snow peas and carrots - and also the potatoes for the mash. I thought it was all okay - the mash tasted a bit weird, possibly because of the white pepper I added, or perhaps the tasty cheese.


1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was surprising.... but quite good.

I had to prioritise the salmon so didn't manage to eat all my mash but I think that was the right decision.

The salmon was tasty. Boy, it retained the heat in it's little parcel though.