Wednesday 15 January 2014

Smoked Salmon (by Biggs)

Even though G and I live only marginally above the poverty line*, tonight we had smoked salmon and 'caviar' for dinner.

I originally decided I was going to make halloumi, asparagus and salad for dinner but then I thought smoked salmon would go nicely with asparagus. I tried to think of other things that might go well with salmon and decided on potatoes, eggs and bread.

I was a bit intimidated making potato salad for G as he is quite the expert (both at making and eating it) but it went quite well. I mixed the potatoes with mayonnaise, wholegrain mustard, chives and fried ham steak. It was probably the highlight of the meal.

I tried Wylie's trick of adding bi-carb to the egg water to make them easier to peel after cooking. It definitely worked but the result of substituting bi-carb with baking powder was that the water foamed up at an exponential rate filling the whole stove with powdery foam creating a scene very reminiscent of horror movie The Blob. I topped the eggs with 'caviar' 'cause there was some leftover from G's Sunday soup and salad.

Turns out smoked salmon gets very, very rich when you eat as much of it as we just did. It almost killed us but was well worth it. The ciabatta I served with dinner was a lifesaver cutting through all the rich.


*Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, "Poverty Lines: Australia, March Quarter 2013", ISSN 1448-0530

1 comment:

G said...

I didn't believe that any thing was 'good, but only in moderation' until I gulleted a sizable portion of smoked salmon just now. Actually, Biggs once made a cheese platter that caused me to briefly loose my sight. Anyway - it was nice to have a boiled egg and some nice bread with dinner, and the potato salad is as good as any I've ever tasted.