Tuesday 21 January 2014

Peking Chicken Tortillas (by Biggs)

I knew I wanted to make tortillas with some sort of Asian flair tonight and after not much time on the interwebs I found a recipe for Peking Chicken Tortillas on the Epicurious website.

I made a sauce with hoi sin, soy, honey, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar and cayenne pepper. I sliced up three chickens worth of thigh fillets and marinated them in some of the sauce. After baking them in the oven for a little while I fried the pieces up for a little colour and caramelisation.

I simmered the rest of the sauce and threw some fresh plum in at the end. I was pretty happy with the sauce, it was well balanced and the cayenne added a nice little kick. The secret is that I followed the recipe precisely....except for quantities. I probably didn't need to quadruple the ingredients, the sauce was so rich we ended up with about four times too much left over.

The only greens involved were some sliced shallots which were a nice touch. I also added some capsicum because it was in the fridge and had to be used.

1 comment:

G said...

This was a really good dinner - nice tender chicken, few vegetables and a well balanced sauce... a lot of sauce.

The sauce was pretty rich but otherwise the whole meal was excellent.