Wednesday 12 February 2014

Chicken Katsu Curry (by Biggs)

When I asked G what he wanted for his Birthday dinner he uncharacteristically asked for "not pork" so we had a chicken katsu curry.

I definitely wanted to cook something Japanese and initially thought I'd give a bento box a crack but laziness prevailed. Then I considered sushi but laziness prevailed.

There were lots of different katsu curry recipes on the internet and they all referred to katsu curry blocks. I didn't know what they were talking about so I took myself to the supermarket to discover spectacular little boxes of S&B Golden Curry Sauce blocks. After MUCH deliberation I went with the hot option - 6 on a scale of 7.

There were suggestions that carrot and potatoes go well in a katsu curry but I'm a purest and just went with the box recommendation which was oil, onion, water, sauce blocks and meat. The instructions on the box were to put the ingredients in a bowl along with your choice of meat and microwave the lot for 7 minutes. I instead went for the fry pan stove top option.

My choice of meat was chicken breast beaten flat and crumbed in panko bread crumbs.

I didn't have to add any MSG as it was generously included in the katsu curry blocks. Happy Birthday G!

1 comment:

G said...

Where's my bento box?!

Not to worry, the katsu curry was awesome. Good crumb on the chicken, heaps of sauce - what more can one ask?

But seriously - how hard would it have been to add some pickles, omelette, those soft colourful disks of whatever it is, shape it all to represent some adorable animal, add some fake grass, wrap it in some beautiful paper, top it off with a ribbon - not too much to ask surely. Anyway, it was good but could have been improved apon.