Thursday 27 February 2014

Little Lamb Racks and Gardener's Pie (by G)

I got a box of vegetables this week which created a bit of a problem of space in our fridge. My solution was to chop a lot of them up and fry them down to reduce the amount of space they take up.  That was the extent of my plan - I put them in a little tray, wrapped them in plastic wrap and stuck them in the freezer... and yesterday I decided I should probably use them so I got them out to defrost. The easiest way to use the veg appeared to be to top the tray with some mashed potato and make a kind of meat-less Shepherd's pie.

Given that I still have a lot of cauliflower I thought perhaps a potato and cauliflower mash would be more appropriate with plenty of salt, pepper, butter and parmesan for flavour.  I was going to serve just the pie but thought maybe Biggs would revolt so I fried a couple of seasoned mini lamb racks then gave them a thin veneer of minced garlic and rosemary then oven roasted them.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed the vegetable pie better than the lamb - the vegetables were delicious.

For the record, the vegetables (that I can remember) that went into the pie were, spring onions, carrots, corn, carrot, zucchini, some spinach-y kind of thing - there was also a little garlic and vegetable stock for tastiness.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Ooooo - there were some super tasty bits on the lamb it was delicious. But, I agree, the Gardener's pie was amazing. Although, I just Googled "Gardener's Pie" and the first link was to a fat-free, vegan blog which has left me with some concerns about where our blog is heading.