Thursday 13 February 2014

Pumpkin Curry with Onion Bhaji (by G)

Tonight's dinner turned out to be a morality tale. I decided to give the animals a break for one night and cook something vegetarian - this was a mistake. Take heed anyone planning to follow my lead.

A pumpkin curry seems simple enough - fry onion, add dice pumpkin, add curry paste from a jar, add water and coconut milk and simmer. I forgot to shake the coconut milk can and poured just the cream in, which subsequently caused the sauce to split - so I decided to mash the pumpkin (which was not my original intention). When I tasted the curry at this point it was disastrously sweet - so I added some onion flakes (whatever that is), salt, pepper, cumin and garlic powder. That helped a little.

For a side I chopped some onion slices, mixed in some minced garlic, lime juice, turmeric powder, curry paste, pea flour (I'm not sure if it is chickpea flour as required but I could only find pea flour) and a dash of water. Then I fried some big dollops of it.

Also, I oven baked some plain packet naan.

The bhaji was pretty good - the curry was not so. It was about the least pleasant thing I've tasted in quite some time.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

The onion bhaji were great. I'm sort of hoping there are leftovers but I think G would have mentioned that by now.

The pile of sweet mashed pumpkin got a little bit much for me in the end and I left a forkful or two but teamed with the bread it was really quite okay.