Sunday 9 February 2014

Slow Roasted Pork and Some Vegetables (by G)


I have the feeling that this is going to be a very pork-centric week - I don't know if my arteries will manage it.

My plan was to slow roast a pork shoulder eat half today and the rest on Tuesday, budget style.  There were a few odd vegetable choices tonight due to online grocery delivery anomalies. Roasted pumpkin because they delivered twice as many as ordered, radishes ditto. I thought I'd ordered real carrots but instead ordered a tin of baby carrots (so I pan fried those in butter with salt and cumin powder).

The spring onions are in there because I had some left over.

I slow roasted the shit out of the pork (about 5 hours - the first half hour at full blast to get the crackle going). It turned out pretty tender for all that time in the oven - and the crackle was not too bad either. At the end I made a bit  of a gravy out of the pan juices and some chicken stock, it was pretty meaty and intense (and greasy - I should have drained more of the oil out).

Anyway, it was a pretty good meal to end the weekend and it will likely the end of Biggs and myself also.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

The pan juices were my favourite bit, they jazzed up the vegetables plenty.

This pork was sensational and I'm glad there is more in our future.

The doctors shouldn't bother with an autopsy. I know what killed us.