Saturday 1 February 2014

Roasted Lamb Shanks (by G)

This morning I went to the morning markets and got some lamb shanks, eggplant, kale, artichokes, carrots, garlic and rosemary, fresh goat cheese and farm fresh salted butter.  I cooked all of these things in various styles for various lengths of time and came up with the below:

 
 
To be more specific, the lamb was browned off in a pan and roasted for a couple of hours along with some rosemary and whole cloves of garlic. With an hour to go I added some chunky chopped carrots.
 
I tried to crispy up the kale in oil, that didn't work, it was soggy.
 
I spent a lot of time prepping the artichokes to end up with some little slivers that I fried off in some of the market butter and roasted garlic.
 
I was kind of excited about the eggplant dish - I saw something like it on 'Surfing the Menu' with Curtis Stone and Ben O'donoghue and an eggplant farmer. They made fried slices of egg plant, goat's cheese and red wine look good - mine did not turn out so well.
 
I also made a sauce of beef stock and red wine - it over reduced a bit so there was not much of that on offer.
 
All in all it was a pretty good dinner - except the eggplant, it was not great.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

I was very happy with the fall off the bone lamb we had for dinner. I was also very happy (and surprised) to discover that kale isn't actually poisonous. I blame Curtis Stone for the eggplant. Everything else was delicious....especially the leftover cooking wine.