Saturday 22 February 2014

Dahl (by Biggs)

To keep up my ideas for dinners I've been asking friends for inspiration - "What did you have for dinner last night?", "What's the best thing you've eaten this week?". When I asked Amanda this recently she mentioned she's had a great dahl so it went on the list.

I found a recipe for the "Best Ever Dahl" on the internet so decided to go with it. It probably should have been called the "Easiest Ever Dahl" because all I had to do was put various ingredients in a pot and cook them down for half an hour. The ingredients used were onion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, curry powder, bay leaf, lentils, sweet potato, capsicum, coconut milk and vegetable stock. At the last minute I threw in some spinach too. I also bought some naan bread and jazzed it up with a bit of cheese left over from pizzas the other week.

My only error in judgement was buying some lime pickle. I've got a huge bag of green beans in the fridge so I really wanted to use some up tonight and decided serving them with some lime pickle might harmonise the meal. In the end I decided the dahl was enough food so didn't cook up any beans. I still served up some lime pickle. It was quite intense.

1 comment:

G said...

I like bread with meals so I was very happy with dinner. The dahl was nice and savoury - the lime pickle was quite confronting, I did not eat much of that.