Wednesday 19 February 2014

Lamb and Couscous Lasagne (by G)

I had some lamb mince in the freezer and wanted to do something a bit (but not too) different. I had the - technically - genius idea of making a lasagne layered with couscous instead of pasta sheets. I couldn't find the good pearl couscous - had to go with the little grain-of-sand style.

To make the mince I fried off some onion, carrot, celery and dried spices (cumin, ginger, couldn't find coriander, all spice, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, couldn't find cinnamon - substituted Chinese 5 spice because I'm pretty sure it has cinnamon in it). Then I added the mince - got it cooked through - added tomatoes and some vegetable stock and simmered it until it got less liquidous.

With half an hour to dinner I filled a tin with layers of mince, couscous and pre-crumbled feta cheese then put it in the oven to cook through.  For freshness I unpackaged some salad leaves and dressed them with a white wine vinegar, oil, grain mustard and Dijon mustard mix.

The lasagne did not turn out as expected, the couscous didn't cook through as I had hoped - nevertheless, it was not as terrible as I'd feared - and it photographed brilliantly.

I'll have to put some thought into this one before I attempt it again.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Concept great, execution.... better than most people could achieve if they were told to make a lamb and couscous lasagne.

The feta cheese went crunchy like nuts after being in the oven. Until today I thought I'd only ever see (and taste) cheese nuts in my dreams.