Tuesday 4 February 2014

Smoky Pork and Black Bean Tacos (by Biggs)

After I committed us to owning a giant bag of black beans the other week I thought I should probably find something more to do with them. I took a guess that pork and black bean tortillas would probably be a popular dinner in our household and found this recipe on the BBC Good Food website. I thought tacos may be a little controversial on a Tuesday night but, according to Wiki, tacos are just maize tortillas folded around "yum" so it fit the brief perfectly.

I ran into some trouble with the "yum". After cooking off some onion, garlic, pork mince, passata and BBQ sauce I was meant to add some fresh coriander. Turns out I bought parley.....idiot. Hopefully G can use that tomorrow night. I added some ground coriander seed from a jar instead but I don't think that had much impact.

The next problem was the avocado. I had to visit three supermarkets to even find one avocado and when I found it it cost me $3.50. Then when I got it home it was half rotten hence the very small pile you can see below.

The only two things that went right were that the lettuce leftover from Sunday night didn't freeze in our vegetable 'crisper' and G bought a bag of limes on the weekend. The limes helped things along.

I wasn't super thrilled with dinner.

1 comment:

G said...

I loved dinner. The mince was super savoury - black beans, is there anything they can't flavour?

We had tacos frequently when we were wee ones, these were better for the omission of tomato.

The shells were much better than I remember also - finer grained, not so plastic-ey. I don't know if my dexterity has improved the they were also not so messy.

The only criticism I have is the lettuce could have been chopped finer for improved usability.