Sunday 2 February 2014

Hamburger (by Biggs)

We have a bag of oven chips in the freezer so I was trying to think of something to serve them with. I also spent most of my grocery money on booze this week so whatever it was had to be cheap.

I was thinking of what we would have had for Sunday night dinner in our youth given we had a family of five living on a moderate income and remembered hamburgers made a regular appearance. I intended to make them authentic with frozen cardboard patties and toast but couldn't walk past the fresh mince and bread rolls. The bread rolls were a nice grained knot roll. The mince was 'heart smart' (?) and already shaped into ovals.

Beyond that I tried to keep the burgers fairly simple.....salt and pepper on the burger, fried onions, cheese, lettuce, tomato and tomato sauce. There was some stress around the layering order but I pushed through and dinner was cooked and eaten within half an hour.

30 minute meal done. I forgot to use the chips.

1 comment:

G said...

I have a new theory that Sunday dinner should either be elaborate (ie a roast) or no fuss (like a burger). This was a good burger, good choice of cheese, nice soft roll with grains. My only criticism is that Biggs didn't ask my preferred doneness on the patty. To be fair, I went to Wolfgang Puck's burger place in Tokyo and didn't get the option there either.