Monday 10 February 2014

Potato and Onion Cakes (by Biggs)

My plan was to make something healthy for dinner tonight so I referred to my trusty "Healthy Food" cookbook for ideas. Apparently potato cakes served with bacon is "healthy food" and sounded right up our alley. I regretted this decision as soon as it was too late to change my plan. 

I've tried enough potato rosti recipes to know that none of them work and I should have been particularly suspicious of this one. It suggested grating some potatoes, slicing an onion, adding a bit of oil and putting piles of this mixture (without any binding agent!) in the oven would result in cripsy potato cakes. Surprise, surprise all it resulted in was piles of loose, soft potato being stuck to an oven tray. Two more oven trays, an hour in the oven and a few minutes in a fry pan later and we had ourselves some nutmeg-y, weird, rubbery, potato....things.....resulting in panicked, hysterical laughter from the kitchen. 

The "healthy food" book suggested serving this with bacon and spinach, which I did. I was a little worried this wouldn't be filling enough for dinner so thought some olives wouldn't go astray. Then I remembered I had a capsicum in the fridge I should use so chopped that up and added it too. 

The bacon was the saving grace of the meal. It must have saved G because I caught him eating some more off the kitchen floor that I'd dropped during the cooking process. I think that really paint a picture of how average dinner was. 

2 comments:

G said...

Dinner was not as bad as Biggs makes out - there was surprise floor bacon, which is a first for me. Even the finest restaurants rarely have surprise floor bacon.

The capsicum and olives were an inspired addition.

plasterers bristol said...

Hmm these look delicious, thanks for posting up this recipe, looks quite simple to make.


Simon