Monday 3 February 2014

Kinda Pork & Chicken Gumbo (by G)

For some reason I bought a jumbo bag of okra at the markets on the weekend. I have done this before and left them to disintegrate in the fridge... not this time...

Stereotypically I decided to make a gumbo with my okra - using little bags of assorted leftover meats I had stashed in the freezer over the past couple of weeks, and some chorizo I bought specially.

First up I browned some chicken tenders, cubed pork, pork schnitzel and chorizo while making a roux from some of the butter I got from the markets and some flour I got from the supermarket some time ago.  Once the roux was nice and dark (though probably not dark enough for gumbo purists) I added some more butter, some chopped onion, loads of garlic, celery and green capsicum and dry fried it for 10 minutes, then added some Worcestershire sauce and cooked it for another 10 minutes, then I added the meat, some hot water and some chicken jelly stock.

Once all of that had simmered for 45 minutes I added the last of the kale and half the bag of okra then popped the lot in the oven. After another hour I took the almost gumbo out of the oven, stirred in some spring onion tops and let it rest for another 5 minutes.

You can't serve gumbo without cornbread... I couldn't be fucked making corn bread so it's pretty lucky this wasn't a proper gumbo - I just used a couple of bread rolls from a packet.

This was not too authentic but I liked it. No leftovers.

1 comment:

Biggs said...

Oooo yes, I liked this. We've never had kinda gumbo before and despite the excess nutrients this was very, very tasty and the most comforting thing I've eaten in a while. I understand what those gumbo fanatics are on about now.