Wednesday 26 November 2014

Mixed Vegetable Injira (by Biggs)

Hmmm....I'm a bit disappointed in myself. When I asked Kirst (who used to live in Canberra) for eating suggestions she definitively said "Canberra institution - Griffith Vietnamese". Tonight was the night but I got myself a bit distracted this afternoon. I'm hoping that when she hears my excuse I'll be forgiven.

My excuse: I was walking the streets and found a tiny sign, next to a door, in a non-descript wall that said something like "alcohol served, 97 person capacity". I opened the door, wandered down a few flights of stairs, found another door and guess what was behind that door??! A speak-easy style whiskey bar? No kidding. There were barrels, cocktails, an upright piano and hanging meats and cheeses. No kidding. This is a real thing that happened. I had an Old Fashioned, a Mint Julep and generous bowls of nuts and olives. Soooo good and lovely to re-discover that beauty of a brown liquor. 


After that I was very warm and comfortable and incapable of finding Griffith Vietnamese so instead I went to the food venue closest to my hotel. Happily it turned out to be an Ethiopian Cafe. I chose mixed vegetable injera. I forgot how awesomely sour injera is. The vegetables were a yellow lentil, a red lentil, a pumpkin mix and a cabbage thing. One of them tasted incredible but I couldn't quite tell which one....maybe the pumpkin. Meanwhile, $8, served in 30 seconds. Wow!

No comments: