Thursday 13 November 2014

Stir Fry with Tofu (by G)

Yeah, so, I have to save up about 2 kilos of land protein for my solo Christmas dinner so you're going to see some pretty meatless dinners coming up.

I do not know too much about tofu (or is it pronounced tofu?) so I did some research. Apparently, much as chicken is improved by brining, tofu is improved by brining.  I brined my tofu then dusted it in flour then fried it on a high heat to get it crispy. It did get crispy, then I fucked up the crispiness by adding red capsicum, green onion, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, chilli flakes - and such, which sogged the crispy some.

Further sogginess came from the spinach and beet leaf mix that I added.  I could have maintained the crispy of the tofu if I wasn't so determined to serve dinner close to dinner time, which involved me tuning the heat down and stewing the whole thing for quite too long.  I added some home roasted peanuts because Biggs likes then (also because they are a good thing).

The tofu (of tofu) was super tasty, I'm currently a fan. I guess it is like when you are trying to force children to enjoy things - if you make them cook it themselves they are forced to enjoy it. I enjoyed it. Here's a picture:

1 comment:

Biggs said...

This was fucking delicious. So very tasty. I wouldn't have been able to handle any more heat than was added but as a result this was the perfect amount of heat. I like peanuts. I don't really like them alone but in meals - yes! Or, nuts in general in meals - yes!