Saturday 29 November 2014

Carrot Gnocchi and Carrot Cake (by Biggs)

Dinner tonight was with my friends Brendan, Mandi and Minnie the miniature schnauzer.

Brendan and I go way back and have shared many a meal over the years, mainly cooked by him. He has quite the dab hand in the kitchen so I was looking forward to what he had in store. I particularly knew I was in for a treat when I had to tip toe through a great little vegetable garden to get to the front door.

Things seemed promising when I found Brendan delicately shaping gnocchi and stirring a pan of homemade tomato sauce. A salad was pieced together straight from the garden and a loaf of potato bread was sliced up. Dinner was a treat, particularly as it was my first home cooked meal in a little while.


It was then topped by a beautiful carrot cake Mandi had cooked earlier. It was fruity and nutty and reminded me of why carrot cake is one of my favourites.

 
The best thing about dinner was that there was an Iron Chef style theme ingredient.....THE CARROT! The gnocchi was actually a carrot gnocchi made from carrot and feta blended and bound with flour. It didn't necessarily taste a lot like carrot but I definitely liked the concept. I wonder what else you can make gnocchi from.

No comments: