Saturday 22 November 2014

'Numbing' Chicken Noodle Salad (by Biggs)

Bonnie gave me the gift of a book called 'Pepper' a little while back and until tonight I hadn't had the chance to cook from it.

I chose a salad featuring sichuan and white pepper. The recipe called for Chinese leaves so I, er...got some of those and mixed through coriander, spring onions (from the garden), cucumber and rice noodles with a dressing of sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine and sichuan pepper.

The chicken was marinated in some hoisin and soy sauce, rice wine, ginger, salt and sugar and fried off in sichuan and white pepper. The salad was also topped with cashew nuts in a mix of salt, sugar and lime zest.

Dinner really could have been a bit more numbing but was really delicious.

For those of you worried about our citrus crops I was sure to heat the peppercorns to 70 degrees to kill the canker bacteria.

1 comment:

G said...

Canker bacteria = flavour. No matter, dinner was darkly flavourful. I've used Szechuan pepper corns in the past and know their awesome power.

Biggs (or the recipe) managed to get the balance pretty right, at least the pepper corns were not the only thing you could taste.