Sunday 16 November 2014

Quail and White Bean Fricasse (by Biggs)

When G decided we were going to limit ourselves to just over 100 grams of meat a day it occurred to me a quail (my favourite mini-bird) must weigh just over 100 grams. Turns out I was right.

The first quail recipe I came across was a James Martin number. I trust that guy so went ahead with it.

The quail was dusted off and fried then added to a big pot of garlic, onion, cannellini beans and stock The recipe suggested veal stock but given that would probably blow out the use of land animals pretty significantly I went with vegetable stock.

I added peas at the last minute and dinner was served. I only went astray at one point when I misread pickling onions as pickled onions but, who doesn't like pickled onions?!

1 comment:

G said...

Do you know what is incredibly small and incredibly tasty? Quail. The wings and legs were particularly good. I also enjoyed the fricassee, mostly the beans.